Balanced man stewards educate and assist the vice president of member development and his committee as they operate the Balanced Man Program. Additionally, they help chapter leaders continuously improve the programming opportunities available to members to ensure the Balanced Man Program instills purpose and perspective members can rely on for the rest of their lives.
The balanced man steward should: educate on the Balanced Man Program, help implement and continuously develop the Balanced Man Program, mentor the vice president of member development, and provide Balanced Man Program app oversight. This page elaborates on those four chief responsibilities and provides resources relevant to the balanced man steward.
Educate on the Balanced Man Program
- Understand the philosophy, people, process and programming associated with the Balanced Man Program
- Educate chapter leadership and new members on the philosophy and practices of the Balanced Man Program regularly.
Help implement and continuously develop the Balanced Man Program
- Formally evaluate the chapter’s Balanced Man Program every semester with the vice president of member development and challenge coordinators and help chapter leaders make improvements as needed.
- Ensure the standards board is equipped to enforce all challenge timeframes and challenge completion.
- Ensure that new members are given all of the rights and responsibilities of membership within the Balanced Man Program.
- Coordinate and collaborate with volunteers who mentor challenge coordinators for the chapter.
- Support undergraduate challenge coordinators by helping find content experts (e.g. alumni, university partners, AVC members, or community members who are knowledgeable in a field or topic) to facilitate challenge meetings.
Mentor the Vice President of Member Development
- Ensure the undergraduate vice president of member development has the support to achieve his goals.
- Maintain regular communication with the vice president of member development and his committee.
- Utilize the Mentor/Mentee Agreement to an agree upon a mentoring relationship with the vice president of member development.
- Support the vice president of member development to ensure programming is relevant, dynamic and unique to the needs of the chapter and campus community
Provide Balanced Man Program App Oversight
- Become familiar with the Balanced Man Program mobile app and provide basic app guidance to each newly elected vice president of member development
- Assist chapter leaders as they use the BMP App to ensure that the chapter’s BMP is tangible and chapter members utilize the app to complete their BMP challenges.
- Ensure that the VPMD is tracking brother’s progress in the BMP through the mobile app.
Onboarding: The Balanced Man Steward on-boarding program will fully prepare new balanced man stewards to be successful in their role.
During the on-boarding program, balanced man stewards are insured under SigEp's General Liability Insurance. It is imperative that all balanced man stewards complete the on-boarding in its entirety to be officially appointed in the role.
The Balanced Man Steward On-Boarding Program is as follows:
- District governors appoint the balanced man steward to the role.
- Newly appointed balanced man stewards read all required resources and watch all required training videos.
- At the end of the month in which you are appointed balanced man steward, a seasoned volunteer mentor will lead a call with you and all other balanced man stewards appointed that month.
- The volunteer mentor will cover all of the Balanced Man Program basics and what to expect during your time working with your chapter. Balanced man stewards should come to this call prepared with any questions that they have while reviewing the resources.
- The district governor then confirms the appointment of the balanced man steward upon completion of the phone call.
Balanced Man Program Basics:
- One-page Guide to the Balanced Man Program
- This resource gives an overview of the Balanced Man Program. It highlights the basics of the program and outlines the different fundamentals of the BMP.
- Balanced Man Program Guide
- This resource is a comprehensive user’s guide that outlines the BMP philosophy, people, process and programming. It gives an understanding of the entire Balanced Man Program.
- Training in 10 Videos: These three Training in 10 videos walk through the Balanced Man Program:
- Balanced Man Program Part 1: The BMP Framework and how you can support as a volunteer
- Balanced Man Program Part 2: People and Process of the BMP
- Balanced Man Program Part 3: BMP areas of programming
- What is mentoring?: This video training resource gives a high-level overview of mentoring in SigEp today and shows volunteers how to set expectations for each mentor serving on the committee.
- SMART Goal Setting: This resource outlines what a SMART goal is and how to build one. Mentors should be sure their mentee is creating positional and personal goals in their undergraduate leadership position. Balanced Man Stewards can help the VPMD set goals, and accountability measures for those goals.
Balanced Man Program Challenge Databases: Below is a list of databases for each challenge within the BMP. Utilize each link to understand the programming that can go into each challenge.