As you have likely felt, an alumnus’ strongest connection to SigEp is often through his chapter. It’s where he built bonds of brotherly love, benefited from mentors and coaching, developed leadership skills and prepared for life after college.
Yet, too often, alumni disconnect from SigEp when they graduate. Through regular and relevant communication with alumni, AVCs can reengage them and build even stronger affinity over time by connecting them to what they care about most – their chapter. If an alumnus feels connected, he is more likely to share his time, talent and treasure with SigEp and your young brothers. Despite having more than 250,000 living alumni, only 1% of alumni serve as volunteers and less than 2% donate.
Offering New Communication Tools for Your AVC
SigEp’s new, chapter-based Alumni Communications Program will help your AVC regularly communicate with your alumni to share news and updates, and over time, engage them in meaningful ways to support the chapter you work with and its brothers.
How Your AVC Will Benefit
The Alumni Communications Program – in partnership with Pennington & Company, which specializes in alumni communication and fundraising – empowers AVCs to send regular chapter alumni newsletter communications and fundraising appeals.
This critical service will help AVCs and chapters:
- Share regular and relevant news, updates and content with chapter alumni.
- Foster volunteer recruitment and meaningful engagement.
- Cultivate donors and facilitate future fundraising and stewardship/recognition efforts.
- Gather and update alumni contact data and other information critical to meaningful engagement.
A Service that Supports Your AVC and Chapter
Through a partnership with Sigma Phi Epsilon, AVCs will work directly with Pennington & Company to craft and send (via mail and email) two newsletters, one alumni bio update and one appeal per year. You’ll work together to develop content that helps accomplish your AVC’s goals.
We know putting a regular newsletter together can be time consuming and daunting. SigEp Staff will support your AVC through providing:
- A visually appealing, SigEp branded design template, customizable for your content.
- One to two articles for inclusion in each newsletter around the impact of the SigEp experience. These will be written to be fully customizable to ensure they are chapter-specific!
- Prospects and information for potential alumni spotlights to recognize notable alumni and cultivate potential donors.
- A bank of articles your AVC is able to pull from if seeking additional content.
- To ensure that alumni records are up-to-date and both your AVC and Pennington can focus on communication (not updating records), the SigEp HQ team will manage data inflows/outflows, as well as gift acknowledgement and receipting for donors. Data – contact records, donor information, and more – will be available to AVCs via mySigEp, providing a one-stop shop for AVCs to access their SigEp information.
- Coaching for your AVC on how to leverage your newsletter and its articles on your chapter website and social media.
Fundraising through Communication
The annual appeal provides your AVC an opportunity to do annual fundraising among your alumni, building great habits for regular contributions and paving the way toward a significant capital campaign if that is what your AVC seeks.
Through the Alumni Communications Program, you can raise charitable dollars for one of these types of chapter-based funds at the SigEp Educational Foundation: (1) declining-balance Balanced Man Scholarship Fund, (2) a declining-balance SigEp Learning Community Fund, which can finance residential learning grants or local programming, or (3) an existing Chapter Leadership Endowment Fund.
- Alumni will be encouraged to join chapter giving societies to annually/regularly contribute to chapter-specific funds.
- SigEp HQ will ensure each gift is acknowledged and receipted, and giving data will be available to the AVC in mySigEp.
- Once onboard, the AVC will also participate in the annual Founders Day of Giving effort by appointing a Chapter Captain who will send targeted email communication through mySigEp and via chapter/alumni social media channels. This effort supports the SigEp Educational Foundation’s annual fund, which directly supports critical undergraduate and volunteer participation in SigEp leadership programs.
The AVC would enter an annual agreement with Pennington & Co. for $2,000 per year, plus printing, postage costs. This provides an average of $4,000 savings per year if your AVC were to seek contracting a similar program.
We are able to offer this rate through an organization-wide partnership and subsidization from SigEp to invest in and elevate fundraising, volunteer recruitment, and alumni engagement.
Ready to Learn More?
Is your AVC interested in learning more or signing up for the program? Submit this brief interest form, and we’ll get right back to you to discuss the program!
Have additional questions? Reach out to our communications team, who is working closely with Pennington & Co. on this program, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions