In August 2017, SigEp’s undergraduate legislative body took another historic step for our Fraternity. The Grand Chapter voted on and passed a resolution to effectively ban alcohol and other illicit substances from all SigEp chapter homes by 2020.
The following resources will help your chapter successfully understand and implement important aspects of the resolution:
- Substance-free Facilities Resolution - Check out the resolution in its entirety to best understand the scope and important features.
- Substance-free One Page Guide - Your one-stop shop to learn the basics of SigEp’s substance-free facilities policy.
- FAQ - Review frequently asked questions to better understand the resolution and its implementation.
- Recruiting with a Substance-free Facilities Message - Learn key messages and conversations to have with potential new members during the recruitment process.
- Top Substance-free Programming Ideas - Use this list of fun and engaging activities to plan substance-free programming for your chapter brothers and guests.
- Sample Bylaws - Various sample bylaws to make sure your local chapter bylaws are aligned with the upcoming policy change.
- Sample Membership Agreement - A template chapter membership agreement including language around the substance-free facilities policy.
- Sample Substance-free Common Areas Lease - A sample lease containing a substance-free common spaces policy.
- NEW! Complete Substance-free Lease - A sample lease containing a completely substance-free facilities policy.
- NEW! Facility Renovations - Some chapters will want to modify their facility after adopting a substance-free facility policy, whether to remove a built-in bar or add a new room like a library, gym or man cave. This page contains information on money and resources available to chapters to make physical facility renovations.
- NEW! AVC Social Event Application - The substance-free bylaw allows for 6 AVC sponsored events per year in the chapter facility that have alcohol provided by a third-party vendor. This application is required by the bylaw to be completed and signed before the event takes place.
- Risk Management & Event Planning - Under the substance-free facilities policy, all chapter events with alcohol must be held outside of the chapter facility. Alcohol can be provided at those events either through a bring-your-own-beverage (BYOB) system or through a third-party vendor. See below for information on both of those types of events:
- Third-party Vendor Event Checklist -An easy-to-use checklist to plan your chapter's third-party vendor event.
- BYOB Event Checklist -An easy-to-use checklist to plan your chapter's BYOB event.
- Member Safety - As always, all events must be in compliance with SigEp's risk management policies. Visit the member safety homepage to learn more.
In response to legislation passed at 2017 Conclave regarding substance-free facilities, SigEp is in the process of creating additional resources to support our chapters through this change. If you have suggestion of a resource you'd like to see or have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.