Throughout the country, SigEp chapters are electing new officers and chapter leaders who will help take the Fraternity to new heights. The positions you choose to elect also signify your chapter’s priorities. One initiative that deserves a dedicated chapter leadership position is the Balanced Man Scholarship (BMS).
As shown by the success of dozens of SigEp chapters across the country, the BMS can present huge rewards when it comes to recruiting high-quality men. While your chapter is probably electing a chapter president and executive board, the best chapters also elect a Balanced Man Scholarship chairman.
- As fewer and fewer incoming students are expressing interest in joining a fraternity, the Balanced Man Scholarship has become SigEp’s best recruitment tool to identify the top talent on campus.
- Your chapter invests significant time and resources into the BMS process, so your chapter should assign responsibility to a trustworthy, elected chapter member to ensure maximum return on your investment.
- An elected chairman is more likely to follow through on the responsibilities of his role than an appointed position.
- An elected position is more desirable and will attract better candidates from your chapter.
Serving as a chapter leader is one of the most rewarding parts of the SigEp experience. Running the BMS for your chapter is an important position that also personally benefits the BMS chairman. These lines are easy additions to the BMS chairman’s resume:
- Marketed a regional scholarship program, generating 150 scholarship applications and converting 10 of those leads to membership sales.
- Led a scholarship process awarding $3,000 and planned an impactful banquet for over 50 guests to recognize scholarship recipients.
In addition to building your professional resume, leading the Balanced Man Scholarship process opens up the chairman for other leadership opportunities next year:
- Successfully executing the Balanced Man Scholarship is a great way to showcase your skills to the rest of the chapter and earn the spot of vice president of recruitment.
- Running the BMS Banquet event can also show the chapter that you could make a great vice president of programming.
Organizing the BMS and a BMS committee can even set up a chapter brother for election as president in the future:
“Being the chairman of the Balanced Man Scholarship gave me the leadership and professional skills necessary to serve as chapter president, and empowered me to believe in myself and my abilities. Any brother with leadership aspirations should consider running for Balanced Man Scholarship chairman.” – Parker Barrett, Virginia Tech SEC ’21
If you have additional questions about electing your BMS chairman or operating the Balanced Man Scholarship, reach out to me at email@example.com.