During this period of uncertainty, many have asked how to ensure that their chapter remains strong while the COVID-19 situation plays out. Although the transition to remote interaction likely has presented challenges, it also presents a huge opportunity to spend time focusing on your brothers and your chapter so that you can return to campus even stronger than before.
You may have heard the phrase before, “Recruitment is the lifeblood of the Fraternity.” Spending time on activities like recruitment during this period of social distancing will be critical to maintaining your chapter’s well-being in the long run.
Since our generation is used to communicating via text, social media and other virtual means, engaging potential new members (PNMs) remotely is in our wheelhouse. Additionally, this is yet another opportunity for SigEp to dare to be different from what our peers are doing. We’re here to help you help your chapter continue to grow and remain strong!
Recently, our brothers at chapters like Illinois Institute of Technology SEC and Mississippi State SEC have found success in re-engaging with potential new members in their pipeline and providing them with opportunities to develop with the chapter. Both chapters have extended bids and gained new members because of their commitment to continue recruitment, putting their chapters on a trajectory to long-term success.
Here are five tips they have shared that will set you and your chapters up for remote recruitment success:
- Continue to meet weekly as a recruitment committee. This touchpoint is a great opportunity to come together virtually, check in on one another and establish your recruitment plan for the week. These meetings are also the perfect time to talk through potential new members in the pipeline and continue to generate new names for your list. See here for a template remote recruitment plan for each week.
- Utilize an online/accessible potential new member list (PNML). Now is the time to make sure your recruitment committee is organized and its members are on the same page. Utilizing an online PNML through Google Sheets ensures everyone has a clear understanding of what the group of potential new members looks like and what steps need to be taken to move people through the recruitment process.
- Refine your SigEp pitch to focus on the virtual SigEp experience. When talking to PNMs about the SigEp experience, feel free to still share what this will look like once in-person interaction can safely happen. It’s crucial, though, to really focus on sharing what the SigEp experience currently looks like and how they can benefit from it this semester. If we are trying to get guys to join now, it’s important we’re explaining to them what the immediate benefits are, just as we would if we were on campus. PNMs, like us, are at home looking for opportunities to connect with others and take part in something of value. We’re positioned to meet this need through our virtual chapter experience.
- Get to know PNMs via video chat and include them in virtual chapter activities. Our goal in the remote recruitment process remains the same –– introduce yourself, make a friend, introduce them to other brothers and talk about SigEp. This virtual SigEp experience could involve Zoom chapter meetings, online BMP activities or workshops, video game tournaments, virtual trivia nights, weekly chapter hangouts over video chat, taking part in weekly SigEp meet-ups and so on. For more ideas on how to create a virtual SigEp experience, see here!
- Extend bids virtually. Jump on a video call to overcome objections and ask, “Will you join SigEp?”. Utilize software such as SmallPDF to send an electronic bid card.
How else can we help you make the most of the remainder of the spring semester and summer months to recruit more men into your chapter? Email me to chat further about how your chapter can crush remote recruitment!
Recruiting remotely will ensure your chapter continues on a path to success. Although we don’t know how long this period of social distancing will last, we do know moving the needle for recruitment and gaining new members will keep your chapter strong.