An Alumni and Volunteer Corporation (AVC) serves as an association for alumni of the chapter, other local SigEps and friends of the Fraternity. Effectively engaging alumni brothers and community members will generate new volunteers and donors to support the chapter. Consistent communications and events, a visible and engaged Alumni and Volunteer Corporation, and active volunteer recruitment leads to a well-cultivated alumni base and a lasting affinity for SigEp.
The primary responsibility for cultivating and engaging alumni is vested in the AVC vice president of relations. It is suggested that he form a committee of alumni-volunteers to support his initiatives. The AVC president and AVC secretary will also play key roles in supporting alumni cultivation efforts.
AVCs that excel in cultivating alumni do the following:
- Ensure that an AVC vice president of relations is engaged and supported by an alumni relations committee.
- Make a conference call line available for AVC meetings to increase alumni participation.
- Publish a hardcopy newsletter at least twice each year with 75 percent alumni content.
- Host at least one alumni event each year.
- Actively recruit new volunteers.
- Make at least one solicitation for the chapter’s scholarship funds each year.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed database of alumni that is regularly updated with the Fraternity’s headquarters records.
- Communicate with parents of current undergraduates to engage them in their son’s experience.
- Engage parents, university faculty, staff and graduate students to be volunteers.
- Utilize the Renaissance of Brotherhood program to introduce community members to the brotherhood of Sigma Phi Epsilon.
- Recognize alumni and volunteers for their contribution to Sigma Phi Epsilon.
Focusing on these tactics to cultivate a network of support for the chapter extends the ability of the AVC to impact the undergraduate experience. Alumni and friends of Sigma Phi Epsilon give of their time, talents and resources when they are informed and regularly asked. Even the simple project of finding alumni email addresses can significantly impact the reach and ability of the AVC to support the chapter with time and money.
The following video was filmed as part of an undergraduate executive officer development series and references donations, alumni cultivation and fundraising.