A resident scholar is a full-time graduate student who resides within a chapter facility to provide the chapter with daily mentorship. Resident scholars focus their efforts on helping younger brothers manage the transition from high school to college, mentoring the chapter’s executive officers in leadership, and facilitating high academic achievement through scholastic programming.
Who can be a resident scholar?
Potential resident scholars can be male or female. They can be a SigEp alumnus, an alumnus from another Greek organization or not previously affiliated with a Greek-letter organization. The potential resident scholar can either be a recent graduate or an older alumnus returning to school for an advanced degree. The individuals selected for these positions will be evaluated on the following criteria: academic area of interest, prior work and fraternity experience, prior leadership roles and overall character and maturity.
What can a resident scholar do for a chapter?
A resident scholar has the following primary responsibilities:
- Assist new members in their acclimation to college life.
- Help older members prepare both personally and professionally for life after college.
- Mentor a chapter's executive board to affect its ability to improve chapter operations and the membership experience.
- Communicate the chapter's progress, goals and metrics to the Alumni and Volunteer Corporation (AVC), the SigEp Headquarters staff and the university.
- Work collaboratively with the chapter’s faculty fellow to aid in the academic and developmental programming for all members.
- Work one-on-one with chapter brothers who may be struggling inside or outside of the classroom.
Resident scholar training
A basic introduction to Sigma Phi Epsilon and the resident scholar position should be provided by both the Headquarters staff and the local chapter from the onset of the position. Additional training opportunities exist at the Carlson Leadership Academy and Grand Chapter Conclave.
Becoming a resident scholar
See below for available resident scholar opportunities. Visit the applicable link or contact the respective AVC's point of contact for more details on the position, benefits and goals for the role.
Want to add a new resident scholar opportunity to this page? Fill out this form.