The Alumni and Volunteer Corporation (AVC) treasurer is responsible for all financial aspects of the corporation. The treasurer also advises and assists the undergraduate vice president of finance (VPF) on the chapter's financial operations. Along with the AVC housing director, the treasurer is responsible for managing the assets of the AVC.
The priorities of the treasurer are:
- Creating a financial plan for the AVC including an annual budget and a longer-term strategic financial plan identifying and addressing any future capital needs.
- Managing, documenting, and tracking all income, expenses and changing needs against those plans via concise monthly financial reports to the AVC and recommending appropriate actions. The AVC treasurer also reviews and understands the annual budget and monthly reports from the undergraduate vice president of finance.
- Maintaining the corporate health and tax-exempt status of the AVC and chapter by ensuring that the required informational tax filings such as the annual IRS Form 990. (In some states, a similar annual filing is required by the state. Some states also require other filings to maintain the corporation.)
- Ensuring the security of all AVC and chapter assets by following financial best practices including annual financial audits of the chapter and AVC.
- Mentor a chapter leader, if needed. (The AVC treasurer often mentors the undergraduate vice president of finance.)
An AVC treasurer needs to be able to analyze financial data and make financial reports and forecasts. AVC treasurers benefit from experience in finance, accounting, and budgeting, and ideally, should also be aware of state and IRS financial regulations. Experience in strategic planning and execution is an added benefit to this role. The AVC treasurer keeps the AVC board of directors, the chapter leadership and the district governor informed of the financial situation of both the AVC and the chapter. If you need help getting started, please contact your district governor who can link you up with a mentor.
The AVC treasurer will work closely with:
- AVC president
- AVC vice president of housing
- Chapter president
- Chapter vice president of finance
- Chapter counselor
- House manager
- District governor
The AVC treasurer should be familiar with many of the resources available through the fraternity. For more information, visit the following pages: