Five years ago, the SigEp undergraduates at the 2015 Conclave voted to adopt the Balanced Man Program across all chapters. As delegates shared the obstacles that keep their chapters from properly implementing the BMP, the consensus was that they needed a tool to help them overcome these challenges:
- We reinvent the wheel every year — with new officers comes a brand new BMP.
- We need to find ways to make the BMP more personalized to individual brothers.
- We wish we knew what other brothers in our chapter were working on and achieving.
Through this discussion, your brothers developed the vision for the BMP App and charged the staff with developing the tool. Since launching the BMP App in 2017, our chapters and undergraduates have used it to facilitate the BMP and provide continuous development opportunities for members. The BMP App has also provided volunteers and university administrators transparency and inspires greater confidence in SigEp.
Still, there is room to improve.
We have sought and heard your feedback. It’s time to make some enhancements and upgrades in the user experience to help you deliver a fun, developmental BMP to your members.
Starting on April 10, brothers will not be able to access the mobile or web versions of the BMP App. The app will return to the Apple and Android stores in time for the Fall semester.
Check out the enhancements we’re making to help you deliver an awesome and transformative experience for your brothers.
BMP App Enhancements
We’re excited to announce that development is in progress on the next round of revisions. This round of enhancements will address feedback around the core functionality of the app – logging in, creating and deploying challenges, and approving activities all become easier to do so you can spend more time investing in each other.
To do this well, the BMP App must come offline to allow our developers to rewrite several functions of the app. When the app comes back online, you’ll be able to pick up where you left off.
Check out some of the enhancements below:
- Your members get access to the app faster – The number of days it takes for a new member to get registered, paid for, and receive access to the BMP App currently takes far too long. When the app comes back online, your members will receive access on day 1 after registering, and the chapter will be automatically invoiced for the lifetime membership fee.
- Backend processes run faster – Whether you're the vice president of member development, a challenge coordinator, or Balanced Man Steward, providing you the correct access and permissions in the App has historically been a manual, convoluted process. Our developers are building functionality that automatically ensures you have the right access at the right time.
- Coordinators can approve activities under review on one page – Approving activities should be easy, and challenge coordinators shouldn't have to receive 15 emails about it. Through the creation of a single centralized page, challenge coordinators will be able to approve all activities under review on one page to empower your members to more quickly advance through their challenges and focus on what's next.
- Roster sync established across platforms – Through a partnership with ChapterSpot, we're also developing a new self-service portal, where you can manage your rosters and see more detailed statistics about your chapter. Your roster will automatically sync between this portal and the BMP App, ensuring that current brothers are the only ones that have access to your app. Resigned, expelled, graduated? They'll be automatically removed from the BMP App once you update your roster.
- Log in with a single username and password for all SigEp systems – Our users already have enough platforms to remember their username and passwords for, and can't remember to add ".sigep" to the end of their usernames. Why complicate things? Included in this round of enhancements is single-sign-on functionality with your newly established Fraternity-Sorority ID (FSID) ... coming in late April. You'll now be able to use the same sign-on information for all SigEp platforms – the BMP App, greekbill and your new member portal.
and many more...
Stay tuned for more updates on the BMP App. We've come a long way in just a few years and are excited to introduce the next version of the BMP App for you this fall.
App Implementation Timeline
Undergraduates request mobile app to facilitate BMP
The Balanced Man Program App came out of a push from undergraduates at Grand Chapter Conclave. The Grand Chapter asked the Fraternity to develop a mobile app — a tool — to help facilitate the BMP more effectively, to make it convenient for brothers, to ease officer transition, and to ensure that the program could improve every year based on what each chapter had previously done.
Full rollout begins for BMP App
We launched the Balanced Man Program App, and chapters began transitioning away from tracking in a spreadsheet to using this more dynamic tool to implement the BMP. We saw exponential growth in members using the app, submitting activities and logging their attendance at challenge meetings.
SigEp prepares for next round of enhancements
We gathered further feedback on the app with a focus on consistently improving the App for you. We’ve spent time listening to your feedback, hearing about administrative challenges, and identifying what enhancements should look like to improve the platform.
The feedback we gathered was centered around core functionality of the app – logging in, resetting passwords, managing my account, and updating information. Challenge creation needs to be easier and slating brothers for the correct challenges must be a simpler process. We've listened, and we're delivering another round of enhancements that will address your feedback.
Even More to Come...
Throughout April, you will hear about a complete overhaul of the SigEp technology systems – including:
- A refreshed chapter officer portal with real-time rosters that sync to greekbill and the BMP App.
- A brand new AVC management page to edit your rosters and search a directory of your chapter brothers.
- Streamlined ways to see your donor history, submit forms, track chapter progress and awards, and apply for SigEp Learning Community accreditation or the Buchanan Cup.
- Communication tools – like an email and newsletter platform – to engage chapter alumni, parents and others.
- Greekbill, our official financial management partner to further ease chapter operations.
Stay tuned for updates about mySigEp, “A new door to your dear old Fraternity.”